10 Apr The Westgate Hotel to Host Sunset Poolside Jazz Series
Every Thursday from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. starting June 5, jazz enthusiasts are invited to sway and groove to the sounds of Southern California’s finest Jazz talents at the Westgate Hotel’s eclectic poolside jazz festival.
Set against the backdrop of downtown San Diego’s skyline at sunset, the event series will feature jazz entertainment and offer a selection of traditional and craft cocktails, fine whiskey, wine and beer as well as a gourmet array of appetizers and tapas. Guests will also enjoy the atmosphere of the Westgate Hotel’s recently reimagined rooftop including an expansive living wall, sparkling pool, modern lounge furniture, 360-degree views and service that evokes the European spirit the Westgate is known for.
The June and July line up for the Westgate’s Sunset Poolside Jazz Series is below; August musicians to be announced. All performances begin at 6:30p.m.
• June 5: Gilbert Castellanos Recognized as a new American master by Downbeat magazine, Castellanos has established himself as one of the nation’s most inventive improvisers in stirring live performances.
• June 12: Steph Johnson Group With one of the biggest voices in all of San Diego County, Steph Johnson’s jazz-centric trio includes bassist Rob Thorsen and powerhouse drummer Richard Sellers.
• June 19: Trio Gadjo While the focus is the Django Reinhardt inspired gypsy jazz repertoire, members of the Trio bring a vast array of musical styles to each performance.
• June 26: Besos De Coco Innovative and eclectic chamber group made up of tap-dancer Claudia Gomez Vorce, double-bassist Evona Wascinski, and classical guitarist/vocalist Lorraine Castellanos, Besos de Coco, is stirring up a great deal of excitement with their groundwork performances.
• July 3: Peter Sprague Trio Full bodied and powerful, Sprague’s numerous albums have elevated him to legendary status among Jazz guitar fans all over.
• July 10: Sue Palmer Known as San Diego’s Queen of Boogie Woogie, Sue has amazed audiences all over the world with her unique style and phenomenal left hand. She wails through a very complete blues keyboard vocabulary like the veteran she is.
• July 17: Joshua White Focused on interpreting original compositions, as well as exploring the boundaries of collective improvisation, White has been in demand as one of Southern California’s most creative and technically accomplished pianists.
• July 24: Afro Jazziacs The six man collective brings musical expertise and cultural music influence fusing popular and folkloric Latin styles with Funk, Jazz, and many other World Music genres.
• July 31: Danny Green Brazilian Trio Jazz pianist-composer Danny Green leads a trio with bassist Justin Grinnell and drummer Julien Cantelm that embraces Brazilian jazz.
This exclusive weekly jazz series is presented by the Westgate Hotel with international trumpet virtuoso Gilbert Castellanos and Sound of the New Machine.
The hotel is also offering the Grand America 40 package during the jazz series. Guests can book a stay in a Deluxe Room at the standard rate of $299 and stay a second night for only $40 plus tax. Visit www.thewestgatehotel.com or call 800-522-1564 to make a reservation.
About The Westgate Hotel
The AAA Four Diamond-rated Westgate Hotel is an iconic property in the heart of downtown San Diego designed to rival the mythical palaces of Europe. From its 223 elegantly appointed guest rooms to the contemporary cuisine of the award-winning Westgate Room, guests truly experience a memorable difference while enjoying European décor, attentive service, exquisite cuisine and artistic cocktails. The Westgate Hotel is part of the Grand America Hotels & Resorts collection which features Sun Valley Resort in Sun Valley, Idaho (twice selected by readers of SKI magazine as the nation’s top ski facility), Snowbasin Ski Resort, just outside Salt Lake City (site of the 2002 Olympic Downhill and Super G Races), The Grand America Hotel in Salt Lake City (a AAA Five Diamond rated hotel) and Little America Hotel properties in Arizona and Wyoming.